Lake Charles, LA (KPLC) – The Chennault International Airshow awarded $ 28,966.53 to local teachers as part of the airshow’s 2021 “STEMulate Learning Grant”.
“We are thrilled to partner with teachers for the advancement of STEM education in our community,” said Mallory Beasley, Grants Program Coordinator.
Funded by the proceeds of the air show, the grant program helps fund teachers’ efforts in the classroom and their awareness of topics and careers related to science, technology, engineering and math.
“The main reason we host air shows is to spark enthusiasm in our community and our students for aviation and to help them better understand how aviation positively affects our daily lives,” said Col. Kevin Melton (retired), Executive Director of Chennault International Airport. “We are proud of the professors who took the time to care about their programs and their students, and proud that the Chennault International Airshow is able to give back to our teachers and their students. “
“We couldn’t do this without the support of fans and local businesses,” said Mary Jo Bayles, director of the 2021 Airshow. “The community really needed that shot in the arm. This money will go directly to the classrooms.
Airshow board members joined Beasley, Melton and Bayles at the ramp presentation ceremony at Chennault International Airport. The check was presented to the following scholarship recipients:
- Megan Aleshire of Fairview Elementary School
- Dr Doug DeVillier of LaGrange High
- Samala Duffy from Beard High
- Emily Fryburger by Grace Scholé Homeschool Collaborative
- Ride Fulton from Iowa High
- Dara Johnson of Sulfur High
- Christina Lejeune from Basile High
- Terri Miller of Barbe Elementary
- Renee Overby Rule of Barbe Elementary
- Bridget Richard of the First Baptist Christian Academy
- Krista Schysm from the LC-B Academy
- Regina Smart from Westlake High
- Erin Zeringue of Notre Dame Reine du Ciel.
Copyright 2021 KPLC. All rights reserved.